Monday, March 28, 2011

Giraffes and elephants and monkeys, oh my!

Last weekend we went to Colorado Springs to visit a friend. It was a great time. The boys and I drove out Friday and both boys were AWESOME! We made it in 8 hours with a stop for lunch, and another for afternoon snack/ gas! We got there just in time for a wonderful dinner of chicken and dumplings! Bekah is such an amazing cook! She is also such an amazing worry wort! lol The entire dinner she worried over how it tasted. I had seconds, and I never have seconds! (That is a theme that continued throughout the weekend- she made an amazing meal, I ate too much, and still had to convince her it was delish! Silly girl!) 

Saturday we went to the outlet mall. It was an interesting day. We went in search of outfits to wear for our boys when they get home on their R&Rs. We never even got to try anything on! Its become a common problem in my life. I blame it on the boys! They were very well behaved, but with them, I always feel rushed at stores and thus, rarely try anything on! (This is mostly due to Keirnan- he doesn't get why he can't keep moving!) Anyway, we had lunch before hitting the stores. But, when it was time to feed James Keirnan decided he was hungry again. He was running around a bit and the planets aligned just right to allow a few girls to make the mistake of putting their pizza down and opening it just as he ran past. He swerved, snatched a piece, and kept right on going! No kidding! And guess who was completely mortified?! Of course, good ol' Mom! Thankfully, the girls thought it was the cutest things and allowed him to hangout with them while he ate their pizza! lol The day ended with a couple new outfits for the boys, and a new train for Keirnan!

Sunday was beautiful! We went to the park with Stephanie and got to meet her baby girl! So cute! I do wish I could have gotten to spend more time with her, but Hurricane Keirnan took off and just kept going! He loved it! A little girl even let him try out her bike! We now know what he'll be getting for his birthday- his first trike!

Monday was our trip to the zoo! We got to feed the giraffes!! How cool is that?! The zoo there is halfway up the mountain. Since Colorado Springs is already much higher than Kansas, I was at a disadvantage! Add in pushing a double stroller up the mountain through the exhibits and you know I was huffing and puffing! lol But the boys loved the animals! Keirnan's first trip to a zoo was the National Zoo in DC when he was just a little older than James is now. It was fun seeing James enjoy the animals also! This zoo had a carousel also. Keirnan was super excited at first, but then it started and I swear its the fastest I've ever seen. It took off and scared the crap out of him! Bekah had the guy stop it to get him off because it was even going to fast for her to get Keirnan off the horse! After the zoo, we went to Red Lobster and Coldstone with Jess!

Those were the big highlights of the trip. What really made it nice was the down time in the mornings and evenings. Bekah is like a sister to me. More than just in the Army wife way, or in the IORG way, (Though we are both!) but in what I would think a real sisterly relationship would be like. We were able to just hang out and chat, or have 'alone time' while still being in the same room! Case in point, one night she played on the computer while I read a book! Neither of us felt the need to keep the other busy! Another night, she had to go out for a bit for a unit issue. I had no issue with having some down time while she was gone. Her pups curled up and kept me company, and kept me entertained! lol We were even able to have a spat, yes I said spat- it wasn't a fight- it was a shut up and let me finish my sentence type of conversation! lol

Anyway, it was overall a great weekend! And it helped get us through another week before our husbands come home! Did I mention that my husband is coming home on R&R soon?! lol I am just a bit excited! I am sure the next month will be interesting to say the least! Maybe I'll share the reason military spouses have kids just before a deployment. (Hint: it involves a lot of chocolate and not becoming a drunk! haha) So just a few more days in March, then April, with all its glory can begin! Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band, the Shrine Circus, unit Easter party, R&R, and Keirnan's birthday party! Busy, busy, so off to feed a kiddo and then to bed I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment