Monday, January 23, 2012

Recent Readings

I have actually gotten some reading done in the past couple weeks. And have really enjoyed all my choices. Talk about eclectic though, a historical romance, classic remake, and adventure!

The first was the romance. I am very particular about what romance novels I read. I usually skip most of the steamy parts and just enjoy the main story. Needless to say, its often hard to find good stories in the romance section. I have a few authors I just love. Johanna Lindsey's Mallory series was my first. I love those Malory's! I also love Jo Beverley and Stephanie Laurens. Between the two The Bastion Club and Company of Rogues are my favorites. My favorite quote is out of a Jo Beverley book! (And I have it quoted in the signature block of my military wives forum, as well as on my Facebook, and Myspace before that!) She even emailed me once to say how much it meant to her that I chose something she wrote as a favorite quote! How cool is that?!?! Anyway, I am currently in love with Stephanie Laurens' Cynister family. I have been rereading the entire series and finally got around to buying the ebook of their protege Giles Chillingworth! It was great seeing him fall!

Next was a book that has been on my shelf for as long as I can remember, though I'd never read it. My parents bought me the book when I was a teenager. Its called "Return to Oz." Its about Dorothy trying to go back to Oz when they need her again, but her granddaughter goes in her place. Its a very interesting story and I wish I had gotten around to it years ago. My favorite part has to be the names of the wizard's son (Ura Wizard) and the wicked witch's daughter (Ima Witch), oh and Itsa, her pet dragon! My sense of the ridiculous was peeked!

The most recent was a Clive Cussler. I have to say the man is a genius when it comes to the sea and adventure on it! I love his 'Oregon Files' books. Juan Cabrillo and his crew are such a dynamic cast of characters! (I love his NUMA Files series also.) This book was about a fanatical environmentalist who tried to create a hurricane and cause a major toxic oil spill to get the world to pay attention to global warming. Its a fast paced chase around the western countries of Africa that does not stop until the very last page!

So, if you are looking for something new and different to read, here are some great authors to check out, wherever your interest lies! As part of my Project 365 is to read every book on my shelves, I know I'll have more to share with you in the future!

1 comment: