Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Crazy Christmas

 
To say Christmas was crazy is putting it mildly. We went home for the holiday, driving from KS to VA.  It was 2 long days in a minivan with 2 adults, 2 toddlers, 1 newborn, 2 chocolate labs, and all our stuff- it was cramped! We had planned on using the car topper, but couldn't find the keys so ended up stuffing everything inside the van. My husband now understands why I say my next vehicle will have stow and go seats!
 
At the post Christkindle Market. 
 
 
The first few days in VA were spent doing the 'touristy' things with the boys that I insist on doing every time we're home. One day was spent at Arlington national Cemetery and at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum. The boys were very well behaved at the cemetery while we 'visited' my old college friend John. Keirnan had some amazing 3 year old wisdom for me that really put a smile on my face. In his very basic way reminded me that all things die in time, and I know John died doing something he believed in.Their favorite part was the dinosaurs at the museum though. almost a month later, both boys still talk about the dinosaur museum!
Dinosaurs! 
 
 
 The boys got to help decorate my parents' tree and help Grandpa set up the train. They loved watching that train and still talk about that too.  
Trains and Cookies
 
We spent an entire day at the National Air & Space Museum downtown that got some good results from the boys also. Since we did the Udvar-Hazy Center last winter, we choose to go downtown. I haven't been to that museum in years and while we had a great time, I much prefer the newer Udvar-Hazy Center.
The Wright Brothers
 
And Mom was so excited to do Christmas cookies with the boys. Its a tradition we did every year when I was a child, and I remember her doing them with my younger cousins also. So, this year being able to watch my own children decorate cookies with Grandma was very special!
Making Christmas cookies
 
My boys after church with Nanny & Pop-Pop, and some of my cousins and aunts on Christmas Eve.

Keirnan (3.5years), Owen (2weeks), James (2years)
 
 
The trip home from VA was a 3 day adventure as we decided not to push the boys, but the extra night in the hotel definitely pushed us! We were driving against a snow storm through WV, but missed the worst of it, and got home literally as another storm hit our area! We were more than happy to be home and start getting back into our own routines again. It was a wonderful trip and end to a pretty great year! (We got home New Years Eve)

No comments:

Post a Comment