Monday, January 28, 2013

My Next 30 Years

Today I am 30 years old! I can't believe it most days. It feels like I just got out of college a year or two ago, not almost 8 years ago! While I enjoyed my 20s, part of me couldn't wait until my 30th birthday when I could play this song.

 
Tim McGraw definitely hit it on the nail with this one! So, while I look forward to "My Next Thirty Years" as I raise my family, I have to be thankful for the last thirty years and all I have experienced, witnessed, and achieved.

"I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years."

So, here is a wrap up of the highlights my last thirty years:

- I turned 3 the day the Challenger exploded, it sparked an interest in aviation and space safety in me that never died.
- My only sister was born and died when I was getting ready to start Kindergarten. My grandfather died about a year later.
- I was privileged enough to go to Space Camp/ Academy for seven years. (My team received the highest award 3 times!)
- I graduated high School with a 3 1/2 year Army ROTC scholarship to the school I grew up wanting to attend- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, as well as the offer of another one to Auburn.
- I know where I was when "The World Stopped Turning."
- I got married to my best friend (Another great Tim McGraw song in that one!)
- I graduated college and unfortunately, got a medical discharge from the Army instead of my commission.
- I lived and worked in Germany for a year and a half.
- Will and I struggled with infertility for over three years, and were told we could not have children without medical intervention.
- Our "Rainbow baby" Keirnan Andrew was born May 10, 2009.
- Our second son, James Donald, was born November 13, 2010.
- We survived two deployments to Iraq. (Will to Iraq, and me at home during my MS3 year of school, and again with a toddler and a newborn!)
- I lost a dear friend in Iraq June 2006. (You are loved and missed John!)
- Our third son, Owen Mason, was born December 3, 2012.
- We've moved across the world and/ or the country 3 times.
- We've bought and sold a home.
- I completed most of my Master of Aeronautical Science degree. (By most I mean all but my thesis, which has been half done since Keirnan was born!)
- I have been a stay at home mother for almost 4 years, something I never thought I would be, but something I have enjoyed and found I am blessed to be able to do.
- I found a church home, accepted God, and was Baptized a year ago tomorrow.
- I have made more friends in my life than I can count, some I have lost over the years, many will always be a part of my life.

This list shows just how blessed I have been in life. It hasn't always been easy. There have been difficult times, but I have such an amazing family; through blood, through marriage, and through the Army. I can't thank God enough for all my blessings these last thirty years.

I look forward to my next thirty years and all the ups and downs they will hold.

"Hey my next thirty years I'm gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I've done
Maybe now I've conquered all my adolescent fears
And I'll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I'm gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I'm doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I'm gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I'll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years
In my next thirty years."

1 comment:

  1. awesome list!! lots of things I didnt know. Hope you celebrated well!

    ReplyDelete