Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Becos and Baskets

AKA- My 'crunchy' mom side!

In January I decided to invest in a Beco Baby Carrier. Oh what a wonderful thing it is too!! I had been a great fan of the Moby wrap ever since a friend let me borrow hers when Keirnan was a baby, but I had never been fond of it for the boys when they got bigger. So, I finally found a carrier that is easy to use and comfy for both me and baby! Owen loves the Beco as much as I do!

So, after a bit of research and hearing great praises from a couple friends I decided on the Gemini. I even got black so Will would consider wearing Owen also. I still haven't gotten him to yet, though we'll say its do to lack of opportunity! This was the best investment into baby wearing I've ever made, totally worth the money!
I love how easy it is to throw on and adjust. Though I'm a bit small so if I don't have the around the waist part tight enough, that is a bit difficult to pull tighter. I also like that I can cross the straps over my back and its a front and back carrier as well as having the ability to shorten the area between baby's legs/ under his butt for while he is still smaller! So, there is my plug for my Beco.

The other thing I started doing the past month or two is Bountiful Basket. Its a food co-op that is nationwide and a friend in Colorado has been telling me about it for a year now. Well, I finally remembered at the right time of the month and got in on it. $15 gets me a basket of about 50% fruits and 50% veggies. I don't get to pick what comes in my basket, so its like Christmas with food every 2 weeks! Its really opened up my eyes and is forcing me out of my food comfort zone. (Considering I don't really eat veggies, this is major!!)

This last week's basket had a bunch of bananas, apples and clementines, (no problem getting rid of those in this house) as well as a pack of mushrooms, a pineapple, a few avocados and a huge amount of peppers. So, tonight once Will gets home I'll be making some guacamole and some jalapeno hot sauce! Oh, there was a bunch of spinach in there also. I added some into our salads the other night and made my first 'green' smoothie yesterday. All a success, and the boys and I downed that smoothie so fast!

Finally, a friend made her baby homemade baby food and it sounded so easy. I figured I'd try it also. It was very easy, but Owen wasn't impressed. I don't have the right stuff to store it all so, a lot ended up going to waste. Thank goodness it was cheap and I had a coupon! (But then, that was part of why I picked those foods for a first try!) So, before I attempt it again, I need to get some containers to store/freeze it all and wait until Owen is eating more that a tablespoon or two at a time! In the meantime, I had a coupon from Gerber, so that will do for now! Hey, nobody is perfect!!

2 comments:

  1. rather than buy containersto freeze the baby food, use food bags, I buy them frm the £1 store, and freeze soups, curries, and baby foods this way as it takes up less room in the freezer than square containers.

    The carrier sounds fantastic too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to be trying Apricots and Peaches today. :) Gabriel loves mangoes!

    ReplyDelete