Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sears Heroes at Home Program

First, this is an amazing program Sears does each year, where they give gift cards to registered military families to help with Christmas! I learned about this program last year after the registration was closed so this is my first year doing it! I am so thankful for Sears putting this program together, and to the people who donate to it!! I am not basing my Christmas around this, and if I don't receive it such is life, but it would be a big help!

This year, they did the registration this past Wednesday and apparently there were some issues and even though people were able to register, there were enough who bitched and complained to the point that Sears dumped that registration and re-did it this afternoon!

The issues this week with it made me embarrassed to be a military wife for the first time ever! These ladies got all over Sear's FB page and either bitched about it not being fair because they couldn't get through to register, or telling those that were bitching to be grateful because there are starving people in Africa, yada, yada, yada and taking a holier than thou approach. I personally feel that while the latter have the right basic idea, they are just as bad as the former for attacking the others!! Overall, it made me sick to see these ladies taking a gift that is being given to the military community as a whole and making it about them and expecting this gift! This is a gift, it is not a right, it is not anything that you should feel you deserve to get!!

So, today we went through the registration craziness again! In 25 minutes they had hit their 20,000 person limit and called a halt to registration!! Needless to say it was very hard to get through and a bit of a clusterf*uck!!

Now, here is the fun part!! lol First, Sears will go through the list and using the application time stamp from the Internet (gotta love technology!) they will pull the first 20,000 applications received. Second, they will match them up with DOD records to make sure the people are, in fact, military families. After this is done, they will send an email out saying if you are going to be getting this gift or not!! So, even though I got my application in, I may not get the gift card! And until the beginning of December I won't know how much I'm getting! (Last year a friend said they got about $200!)

So, it has been a fun first half hour in the military's favorite game- Hurry up and wait!! lol

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get it, they do something similar here, with a major store, I wish they did more for the military here, they get a raw deal compared to US military, and US military dont get near what they should.

    ReplyDelete